Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Parshas Tazria


This weeks Parsa starts off with the Mitzvah of Bris Milla.
On the eighth day, after a baby boy is born, he is to have a bris milla-circumcision.

I wanted to make these cute baby cake pops as the crying boy at the bris....

But soon discovered that in a group they look more like angry bird than a baby!!


To make the cake pops, bake any sponge cake, I have a recipe for one on the blog, but for this one I used a ready mix from a box.  Make any kind of frosting. I used ganache. 
Place the cake into a bowl of a stand mixer and using a paddle attachment mix until all thats left from the cake is crumbs.  spooning in the icing one spoon at a time while mixer is still going.  There is no exact amount of icing that goes in, as this will depend on the moisture of the cake.  As you can see bellow in box 1 the mixture should look dough like.  Be careful not to add too much icing as this will make the cake pops too sweet, yet not to add too little icing as this will make them crack.  If however they crack, you can always place them back in stand mixer and add more icing. 




Measure out the balls.  I made mine 70g (25 ounces) or you can use a scoop as also illustrated above.  To be honest I found mine were too big.  next time I would go for half the size.

Once measured out, roll them into balls.

Refrigerate for about an hour.

Take out of fridge and leave on counter while preparing the next stage.  

Melt chocolate in a narrow long container.  My mother bought this cute little mini pot set for my daughter, so I use her mini soup pot!  I place the chocolate in the pot and place the mini pot in one of my pots thats filled with boilng water.  Dont put the small pot in (or whatever heat proof dish you use) in the big pot while its still boiling on stove.  The steam will get into the chocolate and ruin it.


It is recommended to use a piece of Styrofoam to stick the pops into while the chocolate hardens.  I didnt have any, so improvised with This Pizza baking dish.  I placed it ontop of a bowl, but to prevent the pops from sliding around inside, I placed a dishcloth in first.  

Dip the stick in the chocolate first and then stick into the pop.  The chocolate with act as a glue to keep the stick from sliding out.

Now dip the pop into the chocolate.  Allow the chocolate to drip off by tapping lightly on your finger or knife and keep rotating the pop as you do this.


And...... decorate! I made royal icing with one egg white.  to get a runny icing add 1 and a half cup icing sugar,  but to get it a little harder, add more icing sugar... 

Enjoy!





Wishing you all a wonderful Shabbos!

Orit
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment